Sunday, December 14, 2008

The morning after...

I went hunting yesterday with one of the pups, Banner. This was his 2nd judged hunt. As in his first one, he finished in a tie for second with another greyhound and a galgo. Not bad for an 18 month old puppy. In his first judged hunt, in November, the winner was a galgo named Camille. Yesterday, the winning galgo was Camille's neice, Maya. Nothing like keeping it in the family!

Yesterday was a glorious day! The day dawned clear & bright with cool temps. As the day progressed, the wind piped up, but the day stayed bright & clear. The mountains on the horizon were vivid against a cerulean sky. The dried grasses were golden in the long rays of the early morning and, later, late evening sun. There was harmony in my heart as I began my drive to the field at 4:30 am and I saw the moon setting and then driving home at 7pm and I saw the moon rise. That is balance.

Today, however, I'm feeling battered & bruised and also very thankful for extra strength Tylenol. However, I'm very content that yesterday was spent in pursuit of game, even if my gamebag stayed empty. Hunting is more than killing animals. Hunting is an experience. It is being out in the fresh air & the elements; being out with your hunting dog; and, in some cases, sharing that experience with friends.

I wish them well today out on the plains, especially when the forecast is calling for high winds & possibly snow. They are better men than I.

No comments: