Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Hunting We Will Go...

When I was a kid, I had a lot of respect for Elmer Fudd. Yep... Elmer Fudd is my hero.

Elmer was an incredibly determined man. No matter how many times he lost to that "wascully wabbit", he never gave up. That determination... that never give up attitude is to be admired.

This past weekend, like Elmer, we went hunting wabbits. Off to southern New Mexico we drove - Banner, Nampa and I. We had a great weekend up until Sunday when Nampa & Banner took off on a jackrabbit that broke cover right under Nampa's nose. The boys were off like a shot.

The rabbit took off, jinking and jerking through a series of turns, trying to shake the boys off his tail. When that didn't work well, the hare made a beeline toward the only fence on the property. That fence just happened to be a 5-strand, barbed wire one. The rabbit went under the bottom strand, with two very large greyhound males right after him. First under was banner... Second under was Nampa... I lost thme shortly after that.

Soon the boys were back at the fence line. Banner shinnied under and headed towards me. I saw Nampa casting back & forth.... back & forth.... I hurried towards the fence as fast as I could but I was too late. Nampa tried to jump the fence. When the boy got to me, he was bleeding from three, gaping wounds to his underside. After a quick field triage, I packed the boys into the car and beat feet towards ABQ.
The boy was stitched up and he's OK. The stitches come out in two weeks and we'll be off hunting again and, I hope, we'll avoid those nasty 5-wire fences.

No comments: