Saturday, June 12, 2010

Launching of the Fishing Vessel - Echo Sound

Many years ago, I had my sailboat, Tyche, docked for a bit of time at a marina on Bear Creek, which was called, Bear Creek Marina.  At that time, it was owned by a member of the Hardesty family.  It was a working marina where people built boats.  Now, the marina is called Sheltered Harbor.


View Larger Map


Haven't been there in ages, so I cannot tell you much about the place, as it is now.  Back around 1987, however, it was sold by the Hardesty family.  Anyway...  While Tyche & I were there, a fishing vessel named the Echo Sound was being built.  She was steel and, if I remember correctly, about 65' LOA.  Not sure how many tons, but she was built to work the Carolina banks.  I didn't get any photos of her under construction, but I did take some the day she was launched.  Please see the slideshow of her launching!

No comments: