Monday, September 16, 2013

Don't Let The Rain Come Down....

In the mornings, as we drink our coffee, we like to watch Steve Stucker on Channel 4, KOB-TV.  This morning, he was saying that the state will be getting more rain today and for several days more.  Now then, I like rain and we've been in a drought and the state NEEDS the rain, but come on now...  can we have one sunny day or a couple of sunny hours between storms?  For some reason, a song from the 1960's is running through my brain, "Don't Let the Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man)".  It's a cute song by the Serendipity Singers and I believe it reached #2 during 1964, right behind the Beatles!



The refrain goes...
Ah Ah Oh No Don't Let the rain come down,
Ah Ah Oh No Don't Let the rain come down,
Ah Ah Oh No Don't Let the rain come down,
My roof's got a hole in it and I might drown...
Oh yes, my roof's got a hole in it and I might drown.
I know...  I know....  no complainin' when it's rainin'.  However, most of the state continues to be under flood watches and flood warnings.  While we are OK up here on our hill, many in the state are not OK.  Lives have been lost and homes destroyed.  It's bad, folks, and many formerly dry arroyos and river beds are flowing full, hard, and fast.

Flood Watches & Warnings on Mon, Sep 16
The hounds & I have been pretty much house bound because of the mud.  Our drive, rather than having puddles, has a lake.  Yesterday, I took a shovel and dug a small trench to help drain the drive.  Makes me feel like I'm living in a rural, red neck area because I can go "mud bogging" in the front yard!

Mud Bog in Front Drive
Mud in this neck of the woods is its own life form.  Anyone who has any experience with it knows why they use it to make bricks and adobe homes.  Once it hardens, there is no removing it.  When you walk in it, you grow by inches.  Years ago, whippet owner & vet, Lisa Costello, wrote a poem about "mud...  Albuquerque mud."  I surely wish I had kept that poem.

The neighbor's donkey paddocks down by the road have standing water in them. The poor critters are standing in mud & muck.  As I drove by on Saturday to go to the yarn store, where I'd not been in two weeks, I couldn't help but notice the mud caked onto their hooves.  The picture below was taken on Saturday, Sept 14 at 9:44 a.m., when I was driving past.  Poor things!

Edgewood Longears Safehouse Flooded Donkey Pen
As bad as the donkeys have it, a new neighbor to the south is getting it worse.  The flow going through that flood area (yes, the donkey pens are built in a flood drainage area), is to the south.  All the water that has gone through those pens has settled in the one to two acre field that is housing two horses.  At least, the horses have grass underfoot.  They don't have to stand in mud.

Ah ah...  oh no....  don't let the rain come down....



No comments: