Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What We're Dealing With...

This morning, one of the neighbor's supporters decided to let me know on this blog their opinion of me & our efforts to keep our neighbors from starting a livestock rescue next door.


Jack pushing on the fence to graze my yard
Now mind you, they are currently keeping 5 donkeys in their 1/3 acre backyard where they allow them to push on the fence and graze our property.  Our property has been grazed so much that for a 3' wide swath it is nothing but bare dirt and a couple of newly rooted cholla & prickley pear cacti.   The donkeys pushing on the fence to get to our yard has really damaged it.  I knew it was in bad shape, but I didn't realize how bad it was until today when I was discussing options with the landscaper.  After really looking at the fence today, I'm not sure how it's holding those animals in that yard.

The fence posts are bent, which is to be expected.  The 4" square, wire field fencing is sagging.  It's sagging so much that it is down to the elbows of one of the smaller, standard sized donkeys. It won't be much longer before the mammoth donkeys will be able to step over it and into my yard.  The staples which held the fencing to the wooden corner posts have all pulled out.  Truly, the only thing holding up that fence, which is right on the property line, are the bent, metal, t-posts.  That's it folks!

Anyway, I've digressed.

The supporter of our neighbor, who didn't have the courage of their convictions to post their name, proceeded to lambaste me for standing against our neighbors.  Like our neighbors, they are nothing but bullies and they are cowardly ones, at that.  Heck, I'm not even going to say anything more about these obviously unbalanced people, I'll let their words do the talking.  Enjoy!



These kinds of people, animal rights activists, are all cut from the same mold.  The thrive on drama. They spread all kinds of misinformation & disinformation.  They love to be "the victim" and they are hypocrites.  They want people to believe they are kind & considerate, when they are everything but.

The comments above are just so typical and it just goes to show the kind of people we're dealing with.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO live in the city if you don't like the sounds of livestock. In fact move back to Maryland! East Coast City People are always moving into rural areas and trying to change everything to fit their own expectations and what they're used to.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do...live and let live...or move!

Don't try to change everyone else. Perhaps the biggest change you can make is within yourself.

Think about it!

Anonymous said...

Your kind of people, nosy obnoxious, controlling neighbors, are all cut from the same mold. You thrive on drama. You spread all kinds of misinformation & disinformation. You love to be "the victim" and you are hypocrites. You want people to believe you are kind & considerate, when you are everything but.

This blog is just so typical and it just goes to show the kind of people nice neighbors have to deal with.

betty said...

Unbelievable ignorant neighbors! So sorry for you E! : (

Unknown said...

These are the same people who threatened you with a sniper and his gun? Who are the real crazy people here? Seems obvious to me. Sorry you have to live next door to this. I have fruitcakes in my rural neighborhood too. I have to listen to their 30 dogs barking throughout the night and most of the day.

Anonymous said...

How about having a donkey rescue in a truly rural area and not in a residential neighborhood that is in a rural area? Especially since donkeys are very vocal and loud. Its not like having a herd of cows or sheep or pigs or horses. There is definitely a difference.

Lucy said...

The last comment was about how noise is common no matter where you live, we all have to put up with some sort of noisy neighbors. You weren't called any names. So why include it as "bullying"? Some of the words and phrases you have used in your blog can be considered as bullying as well. Your concern for property value is understandable; however your words, your tone and the attitude that comes across imply that it has become personal. Perhaps a professional mediator is needed to settle this?

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've seen your blog and although disputes between neighbors are not uncommon and have existed for centuries, I'm disheartened by the vitriol dripping in some of these exchanges, including those of the blogger. I don't live far from you (Cedar Grove), and what I fail to understand is how the noise of the braying donkeys all night is so different than the constant yipping of a pack of coyotes which, at my place, is now always accompanied by the barking of my dogs and those of my neighbors. Like donkeys, our dogs are herd protectors and, as such, they instinctively make a lot of noise.

Unfortunately, when you live in a rural area, a lot of folks have a variety of animals (noisy and not so noisy) and our resources are used first to feed and give care to our livestock and other farm animals. Fence maintenance is not an easy task, unless maybe you're the Cartwrights, and I know because I have a lot of fencing and cross-fencing. When we get these gusty winds, I usually find pieces of my barn and garage roofs scattered about my property. Out here in the East Mountains, most of us don't have a "Country Gentleman's" estates, although you can probably find some in San Pedro Creek or Paco.

As a person involved in animal rescue, I applaud your neighbors for their efforts to rescue and rehabilitate neglected and abused donkeys. I also understand your concerns with the condition of the fencing, house, and other structures being "eyesores" in the neighborhood. But your neighbors are not the only residents in your area with structures and fencing that need mending. I know this because I know your area.

There was much written above about "bad neighbors" and I can't help but wonder why more "good neighborly" ideas have not been suggested. If the fencing, house and other outbuildings need repair, why not organize a neighborhood "barn-raising" so to speak. Everyone could chip in with materials, food, beverages, and most important man (and woman) power.

Seriously folks, life is too short and precious to be spent lobbing such acerbic barbs at each other. I don't have money growing on my trees and have my own little ranchito to maintain, but I think I could come up with $5 or $10 to donate towards materials and I can swing a hammer (even if only successfully about 60% of the time).

Please, I urge you and your neighbors to put the bitterness behind you and work together like good neighbors to resolve your differences, knowing that it's not a perfect world for any of us.

Robert Easley said...

Wow Liza, that is the most sound and rational statement I've seen since this whole thing started. These are real solutions, full of wisdom. We are human beings before and after all.

Lauren Rodier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Summerhill's Ramblings said...

This was submitted by Lauren Rodier back on 9/18. It has been modified to remove the address of the Walker residence.

Liza, what a wonderful comment. Today is my first viewing of the blog. I agree in love one another and life is short. If the fence needs repair-I agree-take some time to help out. The noise is negligible. The fighting of neighbor against neighbor is abominable. Lauren Rodier-a new neighbor. We have seen the results of war-we have a son-in-law still recovering from wounds received in Afghanistan. We wish for the well-being of all including the animals. The animal care issue is at the Walker residence. If the neighborhood is truly a caring neighborhood, these animals need your help.

Summerhill's Ramblings said...

I agree with you, Lauren Rodier, that the animals at the Walker residence need help. The animal husbandry practices there seem to be wanting. I know that Animal Services has been at that residence in the past. BTW, it is only recently that someone told me that they were presenting themselves as a llama rescue? Do you know if this is true? If so, we don't want that business in our neighborhood either!